Monday, February 4, 2013

Random Life Update

The date on this post does not put me where I thought I would be at this exact point, life-plan-2013-wise... some things have been put on hold, but life has been hectic and there is still plenty to report.

The biggest news is that Ben and I finally found a place to live and signed a lease - so, for exactly two weeks this month, we will be the proud tenants of two homes each.  At least for a little while we can still escape each other if necessary... ;-)  We are renting a cute house by a lake, with a yard for Oliver, and two bathrooms for our sanity and for the health of our relationship.  I did ask Ben if he was nervous to move in with all of my clutter and he said "no, we just aren't going to do that anymore"... which is a positive sign of realistic expectations.  

Messes aside, we are excited and I will post pictures when we start moving in and everything.  As thrilled as I am to be taking this step, I am putting some of my future plans on hold so we can focus on this phase, which is a difficult thing to do.  

In other life news, I managed to successfully take the GRE on Friday afternoon.  You take it on the computer and it just tells you your score at the end.  The advantage is that I don't have to sit around torturing myself over what might have happened... but I did feel like it made me more nervous during the test, just anticipating that score right around the corner.  I was also on edge because, although I re-registered under the correct name this time, I was pretty convinced I would get there and they would find another reason not to let me take it.  So, I'm sitting in the lobby waiting room thingy, kind of anxious and therefore irritable, and this woman, maybe about 45, became totally IRATE about the no-watch rule.  She dropped approximately 45 F-bombs and continually spoke aloud, to herself, about this terrible rule.  I guess she had a lucky watch or something.  I did get to walk away with the satisfaction of knowing that, no matter what happened on the exam... I am not her.

I also made some culinary progress... first, I added another slow cooker meal to my repertoire, which is my continual goal.  I made this - Pesto Ranch Crockpot Chicken - except I caved and used skin-on, bone-on chicken, which I'm told is not as healthful but is oh-so-yummy.  I also practiced just going to the meat section of the grocery, picking out what's on sale, and coming up with something in my head to make.  This is my ultimate dream - because relying on recipes at the grocery is burdensome and not very cost-effective.  I picked up Cajun-seasoned pork chops and made some spicy beans and rice to go with... and then I also got some crab cakes and made little sliders with arugula and a little aioli-like sauce of my own.  Overall, a success, and way cheaper than going in with my 25-ingredient Rachel Ray recipes.

Any-who, I think that's enough of a life update for now... lots of stuff brewing and I will try to update a little more frequently to avoid another random brain dump like this one in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment