Friday, January 18, 2013

What's in an Outfit?


Do you ever wake up in the morning and pull your hair back in a pony to wash your face and somehow end up with the perfectly-done, effortless-looking updo?  Or maybe wake up with the ideal tousled wave to volume ratio?  Every time that happens to me, I inevitably engage in a self-to-self debate over whether I could really go to work with unbrushed hair... But, the moment I do brush it and try to recreate the look in a more pulled-together kind of way... it is totally ruined.

I was thinking that when it comes to my work wardrobe, I am always walking this fine line: I'd like to look professional, because Im in court and all... but also cute because that makes me happy while at work... but not too cute because I am, after all, dealing with inmates and going to jail.  Today, for example, I chose an indigo shade of striped tights... and I find myself wondering if the clients I meet look at me and have any faith in my maturity or competence.
<--- Yah, I'm wearing these to court.


I was thinking about this, not only because I have taken to blogging while I take the bus to work and people are staring at my eccentric outfit as I type this... but it also brings me to a funny work story.  I recently had a video chat with a client (we can video conference with clients at the jail) who clearly didn't recognize me as the person he had met the month before, which I am basing on the comment he made that I am "much prettier than the girl that he saw the first time" (yah, that was me).  I really started thinking that either I need to start  a webcam business or that I really need to think about how I look at work if from day to day I am that unrecognizable from good day to bad.  

Actually, Ben and I went to look at more rental properties today and I was a little late and texted the realtor that I got held up in court.  That was the absolute truth, but I realized when I arrived he would likely take one look at my Punky Brewster outfit and begin to doubt that I had been anywhere near a courtroom (enter joke about Fashion Police here).

Nonetheless, in other news, I had a good ending to my work day (a sentencing that I was nervous about that went better than expected) and after an unusually trying week of work, this Friday is ever-so-welcome.  

I just got a text from Ben that he is picking me up for a date at 7:15 and to dress nice.   That is ironic based on the theme of this post.  I will update later if I get any more looks.

Happy Weekend All

No comments:

Post a Comment